In my opinion, yes. Every writer has experienced mental war-fare at some stage of their life. For me, this war-fare (self-doubt, procrastination, imposter syndrome) etc. has never really left me. I still haven’t overcome most of these things, but I have been able to co-exist with my fears. Meaning instead of the feeling of self-doubt to make me stop writing, I can combat that feeling with positive words of affirmation which have allowed me write despite the negative thoughts.
To those who are skeptical about affirmations, I remind you of the bible verse – ‘As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he’ – Proverbs 23:7
We spend too much time speaking badly to ourselves and wonder why we aren’t achieving our goals. Imagine if you said nice, encouraging and powerful things to yourself daily. Now imagine what would happen if you actually tricked yourself to believing it?
Here are some affirmations you can write down and repeat to yourself daily.
1. I matter.
2. My creative work matters.
3. I am a professional writer. I honor that truth by living that truth.
4. My job is to write the work, not to judge the work.
5. I am devoted to my writing.
6. I make an abundant living writing.
7. I deserve to be paid for my work.
8. My work is valuable.
9. I support myself and my family with my writing.
10. I produce finished work.
11. No matter what thoughts or emotions I am experiencing, I get the job done.
12. I can write anywhere, anytime.
13. I have everything I need to finish this project.
14. I am guided in my creative process by a power greater than me. I am never alone.
15. I take action on my creative ideas.
16. I find joy in writing every day.
17. I release the need to know the outcome of my current project.
18. Writing is my practice.
19. Writing is my craft.
20. Writing calms me.
21. Writing centers me.
22. I am present while writing. I have no need or desire to rush. I fully immerse myself in telling the story.
23. I love creating stories. I love creating value for other people.
24. I expect success.
25. I continue to master the art of writing.
Just typing this post made me feel better and made me want to shout 'Amen'! Who's with me?
Amen! I love this so much. Definitely stealing a few. Hopefully, I make it a practise to say them to myself.
So good! I was sceptical about affirmations till I started reading 'The Artist's Way' (thanks for the recommendation!) and realised that the best affirmations get to the heart of our personal anxieties, and a lot of the above apply to me, but specifically 14- its so powerful to internalise that the desire/ gift of writing is God-given. So, Amen too!